Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Countdown to the First Day




47 days.  If you teach in Texas, that's how many days until our first day of school.  I posted the number of days we had left a couple weeks ago.  Bad idea.  My own friends sent me hate texts.  "Stop! I haven't even begun enjoying my summer yet!" a coworker texted.  I guess I'm weird.  I didn't mean to piss anyone off.  I just get excited when I think of the new school year approaching.  

crayons-879974_960_720.jpg (960×539)

I love when I see Target's display of school supplies! Colorful binders, folders, 100 packs of notebook paper, pencil bags and crayons!  The big box.  The 64 count!  Now if you had that when I was a kid, you were rich.  Santa brought me mine.  I think there's a 96 count box now.  I can't wrap my head around that.  I would go crazy with that many new, perfectly-made crayons.  Anyone else?  

I love decorating my room, planning my bulletin boards, arranging the desks to make it look inviting.  I don't want it to look too busy though.  That's very distracting to some kids. Think of that when putting your room together.  Your kiddos with ADD will be staring at the twirling thingys you have hanging from the ceiling instead of listening to you.  Early in my career, my husband visited me at school.  "Whoa.  How do your kids learn in here?" he looked around at my plethora of decorations on the walls & ceiling.  "What?  They love it," I defended.  Then I thought about it.  It was pretty crazy.  So I've really scaled down my classroom decor.

This will be my 26th First Day of School.  I may be alone, but I can't freakin' wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment